Jared Banta is a powerful and unique voice among Hollywood score composers. Since his arrival in Los Angeles in the fall of 2011, he has produced music for more than 50 projects for various media including film, television, video games, and the web.
Jared has provided music for a number of acclaimed projects. His most recent project was the pop-flavored Chinese feature film Stay Awake (保持清醒). Prior to that, he penned a hip-hop score for the feature documentary True Son (2014), which premiered at TRIBECA Film Festival. He also has written scores for the decorated films The Grift (2011) and Zombie Blood Chaos (2007), as well as A Poodle Called Alfonzo (2005) which received an award for Excellence in Radio Drama.
Jared has also been a creative force as a collaborator on a number of high-profile projects, including the Emmy-nominated Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures (2016: Additional Music) scored by Michael Kramer, the Chinese box-office sensations The Monkey King (2013: Scoring Assistant) and The Monkey King 2 (2016: Scoring Assistant) scored by Christopher Young, and the independent film Becoming Bond (2017: Score Engineer) scored by John Piscitello, and featured at the 2017 SXSW Film Festival.
Jared did his graduate studies at the University of Southern California under the tutelage of Academy Award nominees Alan Silvestri (Forrest Gump, Back to the Future) and Bruce Broughton (Silverado, Tiny Toon Adventures). He also holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Berklee College of Music where he studied with the great jazz trumpeter and composer Greg Hopkins. While at Berklee, his extended composition Athanasy was described as “… definitely right up in the top percentile of creative pieces that have ever been written at Berklee” by jazz chair Ken Pullig, and he was conferred a faculty choice award for Excellence in Jazz Composition, recognizing his unique voice and unfettered creativity.
Awards and Recognition
- 2012 Harry Warren Endowed Scholarship for Scoring for Motion Pictures and Television. USC.
- 2005 Wayne Shorter Award for Excellence in Jazz Composition. Berklee College of Music.
- 2000 John Philip Sousa Band Award. Fairview High School.
- 2015 ASCAP Film and Television Scoring Workshop. With Richard Bellis.
- 2012 Graduate Certificate, Scoring for Motion Pictures and Television. University of Southern California.
- 2012 USC Board of Councilors’ Mentorship. With Alan Silvestri.
- 2005 Bachelor’s of Music, Jazz Composition. Berklee College of Music.